Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mystery burial site

Before our last branch meeting (June 10), on of the board members told me about something she had been told recently.

Seems that way back in 1965 (think I got the year right), bones were unearthed while construction was taking place for a subdivision. This person said that the remains were moved to the York Cemetery, which is one of the Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries. I gave them a call to find out about it. Unfortunately, I was told by the woman who answered the phone that she couldn't tell me anything without a name.

Well, for the time being anyway, we don't have any names. The board member who mentioned it said she will check back with the person who told her and see if there is any more information available. That cemetery is now lost forever, but it would be nice if we could at least recognize it and the former residents.

No comments: